On 21st March 1993, the Department was created for aseptic management of newborns in the Hospital. Since then it has evolved from a primary care Nursery to a tertiary level NICU with all the modern equipment at par with the best NICU in the city.
The Department comprises of 21 bedded NICU including 15 warmers & 06 phototherapy and six bedded paediatric ward, supported by dedicated Consultants and trained nursing staff for specialized care in neonatal and paediatrics. A separate area with double barrier nursing care and breast feeding (in accordance with BFHI) is carved out to support the admitted neonates.
The Unit is equipped with:
- 02 Babylog 8000 plus (Drager) & Siesta C-100 (Philips) dedicated neonatal ventilator with all paraphernalia – suction catheters, ET tubes, emergency kits, UPS for power backup.
- 01 Bubble CPAP
- 15 Radiant warmers
- 06 pulse oxymeters
- 04 Multiparamonitors
- 04 Double surface phototherapy and 04 SS phototherapy units including 2 CFL latest technology
- 05 Syringe pumps
- Provision for exchange transfusion, lumber puncture and blood / plasma transfusion
- Facilities for 24 hours portable X-ray, ABG and RBS testing
- Airways, resuscitation kits (child as well as neonatal sizes) ET tubes, suction catheters, Nebulization available round the clock.
The NICU & Paediatric Ward.
1564 babies admitted in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Day care facility available for dehydration cases, asthmatic attacks, febrile convulsions. Total 370 babies admitted in 06 bedded Paediatric Ward which has facilities for almost all routine procedures including nebulization.
The Out Patient Department
Besides attending to children from day one of age to 18 years of age there are facilities for nebulization and routine immunization free of cost, along with growth chart monitoring as part of well baby clinic. Routine immunization statistics is given in annexure III.
|1||Total number of NICU admissions||1627||1312||1564|
|3||Total number of deaths||126||120||73|
|5||Babies on CPAP / Ventilator||70||78||72|