Cancer Treatment at KNMH
Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on his birthday 14th Nov, 1943 announced that a Cancer Wing would be established in the Hospital, similar to Tata Memorial Centre, Bombay and this had an enthusiastic response from all sections of society. The Cancer wing of the Hospital was inaugurated by Shri. R. Rajagopalachari, the then Governor General of India, in 1949. Since then it has been serving the people of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and other adjoining states of Northern India and some neighbouring countries such as Nepal and Bhutan.
The year 1949 marked the beginning of cancer treatment at the Hospital with the installation of Maximar Deep X-ray therapy unit for cancer therapy. The Cancer wing of the Hospital was further expanded and formally inaugurated by the then Vice President of India Dr. S. Radhakrishnan on April 8, 1959 with three Deep X-ray units, one Cobalt Unit and 200 mg Radium for Brachy therapy. This made KNMH the third centre in the country for comprehensive cancer treatment, in the early fifties, the other two being Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai and Chittaranjan National Cancer Hospital, Kolkata.
A modernization program of the Cancer Wing was initiated in 1986. It has now evolved into an upgraded cancer treatment Centre with modern facilities and infrastructure. Uttar Pradesh is the largest state of the country and and the upgraded helped a large number of patients who had to go to Mumbai and New Delhi for cancer treatment.
Some of the salient features of the development are – installation of stationery head Janus Cobalt Unit in 1984, re-establishment of cancer wards in 1984 and commissioning of rotational head Isocentric Teletherapy Unit, Theratron 780 C, Selectron LDR (remote control after loading) unit with Caesium 137 source and RT 3000 Ultrasonography Unit. In 1987, the imaging section was further strengthened by addition of a Whole Body CT Scan CTW 700, under the Indo Japanese Aid Programme for Cancer control in India.